Thursday, January 29, 2009

Words of Wisdom---Wisdom that I need everyday

I have to thank Kendra for her words of wisdom passed on by her experience as a stay-at-home mom. I have looked at this site a couple of times and have taken some info from them to make my day a little bit easier. Now it is an everyday e-mail and personal quest of mine. Here is a letter that I recieved in my e-mail from Kelly with the FLYladies (FLY stands for Finally Loving Yourself for those of you who don't know).
Here it is:

"Dear Friends:

Recently I was having a conversation with a very dear friend about need versus having enough. How many times do you hear yourself say I need this and I need that? When is it enough for you?

This is not just about the tangible things in our lives either, it is about our homes, money and our relationships with others. How will you know when you have enough? Having enough does not mean being full and it does not mean that you are settling for something. It means being able to recognize that you truly do have enough.

Knowing that you have enough does not mean that things aren't hard. Life can bring difficult moments and times, but being able to know that in the end you do have enough is a very powerful thing.

When you are constantly worried about having a bigger house, a better car, being able to go out to dinner more, taking better vacations, needing this or needing that, you are never going to feel fulfilled, you are always going to be left feeling empty.

There are times and situations that get us thinking we NEED things, or feeling like we need to buy things to fill us up or make us happy that we find ourselves in debt. Not just financial debt, but emotional debt. The guilt and shame of overspending on things that we think we need but in reality we are trying to make ourselves feel full. In addition when we are buying things to fill ourselves, we are usually buying the very things that we toss out in 27 flings or the Super Fling Boogie.

It has taken years for me to figure out that I have enough. What I have in my life is plenty. This does not mean that I would not like to have some "things" but it means that I can view them as things that I would like to have NOT "need". I have enough. I am willing to bet that most of you have enough as well, you just haven't learned to view it this way. Instead of constantly feeling as though you NEED, remind yourself that you have enough. When you start to hear yourself using the the words "I need..." take a moment to see if you can say "I have enough" Save the "I need...." for the things you REALLY need. Transfer "I Need" to "I would like to have". Treats become treats and not something that you are trying to use to fill up when you are feeling empty.

Give yourself the opportunity to let go of all things that are weighing you down and keeping you from seeing all that you have. We surround ourselves with all the things that we thought we needed and now are just embarrassed and overwhelmed by the stuff that is just taking over our lives. Use this Super Fling Boogie to give yourself a break from the guilt of holding onto things that you used to define yourself or hide behind. You will be amazed at how free and full you will feel by blessing others with your excess and getting the clutter that is not worth having out of your homes. You can do this - we believe in you and know that you are worth the work. Those BabySteps will have you FLYing and soaring above the clouds!

Part of Finally Loving Yourself is knowing that you truly do have enough. Are you ready to FLY?

Love,
Kelly"

Boy what can I say, how many of us live/work/think this way. I have to love FLYlady.net and Kendra for bringing it to my attention again.

1 comment:

  1. I love the 27 item flings! They changed my life...it's still something I work on everyday. I keep a box by the door for goodwill just to remind myself not to hold onto things I might need "some day!" I'm glad the website has been helpful to you. Please know that you are not alone in your struggle!

    PS Post pics of laundry makeover. Mike and I would love to take a look!

    ReplyDelete